Monday, November 10, 2008

On the Road to Sanctification

"The culture that said there was no need to balance individual rights and community needs." 
--Roger Cohen, International Herald Tribune, 11.9.2008

In 2004 as a college freshman, at the time studying theology & ethics, I felt called to spend time abroad. It didn't how that would manifest or why I needed to, but I knew I did.

Four years on I am still sifting through the time I spent in France. Time spent with other college students from around the world, and time spent with many North African immigrants to the North East of France. 

During the study time in Strasbourg I read a small book, "Minister Cross Culturally: An Incarnational model for Personal Relationships", that has shaped my view of the world in profound ways since. 

Lingenfelter and Mayers explore the nature of humanity; our differences based on culture and our similarities based in Christ.  Time, Judgment, Handling Crises, Goals, Individual Worth, & Vulnerability shape how we view and are viewed cross culturally. 

Cohen's line struck a cord with me. American individualism is second only to American exceptionalism in defining our world view. Neither seem overtly Biblical to me. 

I read another book that summer, "How Now Shall We Live?" the Colson classic. His thesis served to fill the gap in theory and practice Lingenfelt and Mayers raised. 

According to Colson, and I think he has it right, you have two options when viewing God. He is either a.) Actively redeeming his creation or b.) He is the watch maker God who is hands off through history. 

The preponderance of evidence and the conviction of the spirit lead me to the first conclusion. That God is actively redeeming all of his creation, through his people. Sin will continue to corrupt and pollute, but the battle is won. 

The point?

Though our cultures are different, still equally flawed, in Christ not only are we one, we are  on the road of sanctification.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I found something you might be interested in. It's a set of articles by a guy named Steve Palmquist. Have you heard of him? Anyways, here's the link: http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/bth/

Anonymous said...

Nice, I'd have to say I agree with answer 'a.' I think that in order for 'b' to be true, the phrase 'divine intervention' would not exist. The Lord does actively participate in our day to day, whether we welcome Him or not. If He truly is alive in us, as so often quoted from Scripture, then this must be true. Alive infers He is living, he is in action. You remember what Hobbes wrote about bodies and space. In his description of bodies he makes the point that they are living and moving. Christ is alive in us, he is dynamic. His truth maybe static, but His action is indeed dynamic (moving).