Wednesday, October 1, 2008

lessons of a hermit

So I was reading Andrew Lee Butters (No, he's not a wacko assassin) blog post about searching for a hermit in the mountains of Lebanon, 

http://timeblog.com/middle_east/2008/09/how_to_talk_to_a_hermit.html

Which was enough to get my mind going in ways I am sure are detrimental to my long term  job security.

The notion of trekking through mountains and valleys, to meet with God and in so doing discovering life at it's core, is the most human of all epics. 

Butters isn't overly spiritual, he's barley at all. But imagery here is powerful. It inspires me to leave this facade we call life to search for true living, communion with God. 

There is something radically appealing about the hermit, something I want. I don't think God is calling me to be a hermit, but he may be calling me to pay one a visit....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just opened up a can of worms. I posted an invite to a bunch of climbers on Supertopo.com, informing them to come check ou the underground. A bunch of those guys sit around all day bashing conservatives. I hope we get some takers.

bluering said...

I'm doing a trial post to see if this works...